National Wellness Institute Certified Wellness Practitioner (CWP) Designation

The UNC Asheville Health and Wellness Promotion program has obtained Academic Program Accreditation status from the National Wellness Institute Council on Wellness Accreditation and Education (CWAE). The CWAE recognizes undergraduate degree programs that prepare individuals to enter professions in wellness and health promotion. Accreditation status is granted to programs that meet or exceed stated criteria of educational quality.

Students graduating from a CWAE accredited program are eligible to receive Certified Wellness Practitioner (CWP) designation, a recognized credential in the field. Applications for CWP must be received within 24 months of graduation from the accredited program. The department will send graduating HWP seniors a reminder email at the end of the semester, or students may go to the National Wellness Institute website for more information on how to apply.

Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)

The job of a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist is to train athletes in order to improve their athletic performance. This is done through sport-specific testing sessions, designing and implementing safe and effective strength training and conditioning programs, and giving guidance in nutrition and injury prevention.

You can take Dr. Rote’s HWP 474 Strength, Conditioning, and Performance class to prepare for the CSCS exam.

CPR Certification

A CPR certification allows students to satisfy a job requirement for on-campus positions with Campus Recreation and it also prepares them to help assist someone and/or keep someone safe.

UNC Asheville’s Campus Recreation requires all of their employees to be currently CPR/AED/FA certified. Students enrolled in the Outdoor Leadership Training Program (HWP 272 ST: Outdoor Leadership) earn this certification. A CPR certification is also required to get a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist certification.

CPR Certification is also available through the American Red Cross Training Services in North Carolina.

Wilderness First Aid

With a certification in American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid students will be able to prevent, assess, and treat someone in need in a remote environment. Outdoor Programs offers an American Red Cross Wilderness First Aid certification and American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED certification.

Students enrolled in the Outdoor Leadership Training Program (HWP 272 ST: Outdoor Leadership) earn both of these certifications.

Wilderness First Aid certification is also available through the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS).

Many of the Outdoor Programs students also obtain Wilderness First Responder certification and Swift Water Rescue certifications through outside organizations such as: Landmark LearningStonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO)American Canoe Association.

Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES)

There is a wide range of duties and responsibilities a Certified Health Education Specialist is tasked with doing for individuals and communities. They work to improve and maintain the health of individuals and their communities as well as providing programs, exercise and disease prevention to those in need of assistance. These are just some of the jobs in the wide field of a Health Education Specialist.

Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) offered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)