Kathie C. Garbe received a Bachelor’s of Science degree with a double major in Health Education and one in Physical Education with Sports Medicine and Coaching minors from the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse. She also lettered in Volleyball and played on the team that qualified for the National Tournament and finished 5th in the nation.
Kathie received her Master’s of Science in Health Education from Illinois State University and her Ph. D from Texas Woman’s University in Health Studies with a minor in Exercise Science.
Kathie’s experience includes teaching and coaching for all grade levels. She coached both a nationally qualifying basketball and nationally qualifying softball teams. She also taught health and physical education in Elementary, Middle School and High School but most of her career has been spent teaching in higher education. Much of her attention has been focused on curriculum development, developing internship programs, service learning pedagogy, student leadership programs and aging initiatives. Her research includes community-based programming, prevention initiatives and interventions for both children and older adults. She served as the Chair of the Fitness and Wellness Council for the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance and is currently serving on the International Advisory Board for the International Council for Active Aging. Kathie is active on several local organizations focused on improving health and quality of life.
- Ph. D from Texas Woman’s University in Health Studies with a minor in Exercise
- HWP 153 Health and Wellness Promotion
- HWP 190 Introduction to Health Promotion
- HWP 260 CAM Healing Therapies
- HWP 310 Community Outreach and Health Promotion
- HWP 350 Service Learning in Health Promotion
- HWP 360 Aging, Health and Active Living and Lab
- HWP 373 Service Learning in School Health Education
- HWP 380 Internship
- HWP 390 Pre-Professional Clinical
- HWP 459 Sr. Seminar
- HWP 472 WASA Leadership
- HWP 473 Grant Writing
- HWP 473 Advanced Programming
- HWP 480 Advanced Internship
- HWP 499 UG Research